A review of five news items from the previous week (1 local/Southern Africa and 4 international) from a Christian perspective, specifically written for radio broadcast.
In the news this week, ending 14 November:
- MADAGASCAR – Presidential elections were held in the impoverished Indian Ocean island nation on 7 November
- AUSTRALIA – After a terror attack in Melbourne, the Australian prime minister Scott Morrison said that “radical, violent, extremist Islam” is the greatest threat to Australian national security.
- FRANCE – World leaders gathered in France to mark the centenary of WWI’s end
- US – The Democratic party took control of the House of Representatives for the first time since 2010, while Republicans expanded their majority in the Senate.
- GAZA – Tensions between Israel and Gaza de-escalates
In the news last week, ending 7 November:
- SOUTH AFRICA – Another parliamentary body has again called for State intervention in religious activities
- PAKISTAN – Protests erupted in Pakistan after the acquittal of a Christian woman, Asia Bibi
- EGYPT – Coptic Christians targeted again by terrorists
- IRAN – Iran defiant as US reimposes hefty sanctions
- SAUDI ARABIA – Saudi Arabia hosts rare visit of US evangelical Christian delegation