INTERNATIONAL CONDEMNATION FOR ATTACK ON COPTIC CHRISTIANS
[Throughout yesterday, 26 May, international reactions to the attack have been flooding in]
The German government is condemning the attack against a bus carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt in which 24 people were killed and 25 wounded [later rose to 28 dead].
A Foreign Ministry spokesman says the news was being received with “deep sorrow,” noting that Germany is currently hosting a large gathering of the Protestant Church that Coptic Christians are attending too.
Martin Schaefer told reporters in Berlin on Friday that Germany “condemns in the strongest possible terms these kinds of attacks on believers” and grieves with the victims and their relatives.
Schaefer says Germany will cooperate with Egypt “to ensure that things like this don’t happen again in future.”
The militant Islamic group Hamas that rules Gaza is condemning the attack on a bus carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt.
Spokesman Fawzi Barhoum in a statement Friday called the shooting “an ugly crime,” of which “the enemies of Egypt” are the only beneficiaries.
Egyptian security officials said 28 people were killed and 22 wounded in an attack by gunmen on a bus carrying Coptic Christians south of Cairo earlier in the day.
The Palestinian militant group is seeking to improve relations with neighboring Egypt.
After winning legislative elections in 2006, Hamas seized control of the Gaza Strip in bloody street battles from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas the following year.
Gaza has suffered increasing hardship under Hamas’ rule, which triggered a border blockade by both Egypt and Israel.
Israel is strongly condemning the attack by masked gunmen on a bus carrying Christians in neighbouring Egypt that killed 28 people.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office issued a statement Friday sending “condolences from the Israeli people to the Egyptian people and to President el-Sissi.”
It says “terrorism will be defeated quicker if all countries act together against it.”
Israel and Egypt signed a peace treaty in 1979 and maintain close security cooperation.
Lebanon – Hezbollah
Lebanon’s militant Hezbollah group has condemned the attack that targeted a bus carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt saying it “is a new crime added to the criminal record of a murderers’ gang.”
Masked militants riding in three SUVs opened fire Friday on a bus packed with Coptic Christians, including children, south of the Egyptian capital, killing at least 28 people and wounding 22.
Hezbollah in a statement released in Beirut called for a “strong and frank stance in the face of terrorism that takes religion as a cover.”
It said such acts should be fought so that the “world does not go toward a precipice to which those criminals want to take it.”
UN Security Council
The United Nations Security Council is condemning “in the strongest terms” the attack in Egypt on a bus carrying Coptic Christians that left at least 28 people dead and dozens injured.
In a statement released Friday, the Council expressed its “deepest sympathy” and condolences to the families of the victims and emphasized that the perpetrators need to be brought to justice.
The members of the Security Council reaffirmed “that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security,” the statement said.
The Vatican – Pope
The Vatican says Pope Francis is “saddened” by the “barbaric” attack on Coptic Christians in Egypt.
In a condolence message sent on Friday to the Egyptian president, Francis said he’ll continue his “intercession for peace and reconciliation” throughout Egypt.
The message described Francis as being “deeply saddened to learn of the barbaric attack in central Egypt and of the tragic loss of life and injury caused by this senseless act of hatred.”
Last month’s visit by Francis to Cairo aimed in part to show support for Christians in Muslim majority Egypt. Following the visit, the Islamic State group vowed to escalate attacks against Christians.